Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hopelessly devoted

It is well known around here that Pearl loves the iPod. Any iPod. There are several floating around in this house, and at any given time, you can bet Pearl has hold of one of them. Usually it's mine, and usually it's playing Kanye West.

Lately, though, I've overheard Pearl assuming a Broadway-style voice and puzzling out a different tune. Finally I asked what she was listening to. Somehow she had managed to navigate from Kanye West to the "Grease" soundtrack, and "Hopelessly Devoted to You" by Olivia Newton-John. Okay, this is a cheesy song. But I'm not going to apologize for having it on my iPod. I actually like this song.

And so does Pearl. In fact, she likes it so much that tonight I found her on the couch with my iPod and a pen, furiously trying to transcribe the words into her notebook so she could better sing along. I sat down and helped her work it out, and then we split the earphones and belted it out together. Lulu sat in front of the fire and watched us, completely cracking up. Pearl is such a believable Sandy. She really feels it.





No comments: